cmbat related ACPI change between 6.0-release and Nov 10th -stable sources is making Dell laptops to hang

Pierre-Luc Drouin pldrouin at pldrouin.net
Sun Nov 20 19:23:04 GMT 2005

Hi,

Since I upgraded from 6.0-release to 6.0-stable on Nov 10th, my laptop
hangs for about 1-2 seconds everytime a battery monitoring tool asks for
the cmbat battery status. My laptop is a Dell Precision M70 and shares
its motherboard with many other Dell laptops. I can reproduce the
problem by running "acpiconf -i loop" or "sysctl hw.acpi.battery.life".
The problem did not exist with 6.0-release, so it has been caused by
some code change between -release and Nov 10th sources. Disabling cmbat
with debug.acpi.disabled avoids the laptop to hang. Does someone know
what change to cmbat related stuff could be causing this problem?

Thank you!

Pierre-Luc Drouin