Why use 60 sec on da0 during boot?

Lukas Ertl lukas.ertl at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 12:32:14 PST 2005

On 11/19/05, Jim Pingle <jim at hpcisp.com> wrote:
> Lukas Ertl wrote:
> > On 11/9/05, Ingeborg Hellemo <Ingeborg.Hellemo at cc.uit.no> wrote:
> >
> >>Fresh new ProLiant dl380 2 CPU/dual core
> >>Fresh new FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE
> >>

> >>During boot I arrive at
> >>
> >>da0 at ciss0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> >>da0: <COMPAQ RAID 1  VOLUME OK> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> >>da0: 135.168MB/s transfers
> >>da0: 34727MB (71122560 512 byte sectors: 255H 32S/T 8716C)
> >>
> >>then nothing happens for about 60 seconds and then everything proceedes as
> >>usual (starting daemons, mounting NFS-disks etc.)
> >

> > I see this behaviour on my DL380s, too.  I don't have a fix, but a
> > workaround: disable the floppy drive in the BIOS.
>
> I also see this behavior, though I see it on a few systems which are all
> Dual CPU PIII 800MHz. They each have different SCSI or RAID controllers (one
> has an amr card, one has an mlx controller, and one I believe just had an
> ahc controller. The motherboards all have Intel serverworks chipsets.
>
> These are all fresh installs of FreeBSD 6.0 (and updated to -STABLE). It
> happens with GENERIC and with a lightly modified custom kernel (remove
> unused cpu types, add smp)
>
> In each case, during this pause the floppy light is on solid, so I'm not
> sure it has anything to do with the SCSI controller(s).

It has nothing to do with the SCSI controller, it's all about the
floppy drive.  It seems like the fdc driver doesn't recognize that
there's no disk in the drive and tries to access it on and on and on.
As I said, disable the floppy drive in the BIOS (or even put a floppy
into the drive), then the boot process goes on as usual.

cheers,
le