Why device sk (PCI Gigabit Ethernet) cannot use polling?

Hendry Sarumpaet list-freebsd-stable at ezekiel.jasatel.net.id
Fri Nov 18 12:23:56 GMT 2005

Hello Rob,

> Xin LI wrote:
>> On 11/18/05, Rob <spamrefuse at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>The sk device has no polling support,
>>>neither in 5 nor in 6.
>>>Is there a particular reason (maybe
>>>because it's a Gigabit device) ?
>>>
>>>Or is polling not supported because it
>>>simply has not yet been coded? If so, would
>>>it be straightforward to add the code?
>>

>> That would not be very hard if you own some
> hardware,
>> so if you have the hardware, give it a try! :-)

> I do have the hardware: an sk integrated on the
> motherboard, but this is on a production server.

> Also, I don't know anything about coding the
> polling stuff; I use it on other PCs (rl, xl)
> and was wondering why not with sk.

> If I have a piece of code that is 99.9 % sure
> to work, then in that case I could try it out on
> the production server in a test over the weekend.

  well if you want to make it work then feel free to ask any
  developer who willing spent their time to write the code and it will
  be great if you can donate the hardware also.
  i think ru@ and glebius@ is the guy who currently proactive develope
  the polling(4) code.
  the recent work for polling was additional support to bge(4) which
  have been merged to RELENG_6 (work done by glebius), we've been used it on our production
  router seems pretty robust.

  finger glebius at freebsd.org
  honestly he is my FreeBSD network hero :)
  netgragph improvement , carp stuff , recent em(4) fix , new design of polling code and many
  more. thanks a lot gleb !

> Rob.

cheers,
hsa