mplayer + bktr

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Wed Nov 16 02:20:56 PST 2005

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:04:48 +1030
"Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor at gsoft.com.au> wrote:

> The first is that when you force it to capture audio (so mute and volume
> control work, or you can use mencoder) it does about 0.25 fps :( It doesn't
> appear to be using heaps of CPU or anything so I am not sure what the problem
> is.
>
> The other is that it hitches when playing TV - it doesn't do this when viewing
> movies.

	I had a quick look at what has happened to the capture code in
mplayer since I last saw it (and felt a bit ill). It seems that it pretty
much depends on the frame sync signals from the bktr device with a fallback
one second alarm. I know that missing frame sync signals are not uncommon
from instrumenting my capture code in ffmpeg which is kept sane by using
a tightly timed usleep to capture a frame close ot the right time when the
signal is missed.

	I'm guessing that enabling the audio capture is causing signals
to be missed.