Swapfile problem in 6?

Lars Kristiansen lars+lister.freebsd at adventuras.no
Tue Nov 15 12:44:27 PST 2005

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 07:16:47AM -0800, Rob wrote:
>>

>> --- Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au> wrote:

>> > If your system is headless, you probably want
>> > 'options BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER' as well.
>>
>> If I merge all these options into the GENERIC kernel
>> config file, the kernel compilation ends with error:
>>
>> $ make buildkernel KERNCONF=DEBUGKERNEL
>> [...snip...]
>> cc -c -O -pipe ... /usr/src/sys/dev/ata/atapi-cd.c
>> /usr/src/sys/dev/ata/atapi-cd.c: In function
>> `acd_geom_attach':
>> /usr/src/sys/dev/ata/atapi-cd.c:181: warning: implicit
>> declaration of function `_sx_assert'
>> /usr/src/sys/dev/ata/atapi-cd.c:181: warning: nested
>> extern declaration of `_sx_assert'
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src.
>
> You may not have INVARIANT_SUPPORT -- I don't see that listed explicitly,
> but it's necessary as well.

That seemed to get the buildkernel going for me at least.

I have been following this thread and can confirm this "freezing" when
using swapfile. It happens here while rebuilding different ports, after
upgrade to 6.0-release.
A couple of the times but not everytime the following message was
repeatedly displayed at the console before freezing:

swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 273427, size: 4096

To mostly rule out diskfailure I also disabled this swapfile and tried to
have the swapfile on another disk.

Additional information about "frozen" behavior:
When "frozen" I can change virtual terminals: alt-F2, alt-F3...
But that is all i can do whith keyboard. ie. I cannot write username.

Got a swap partition on another disk now. That speeds things up too.
However, this is a pentium2-200MHz so I cannot tell if buildkernel was a
success until tomorrow.
Never done debugging before, but I will continue to follow this thread
tomorrow and try to do what is adviced here if the cause has not been
identified in the meantime.

Regards
--
Lars