Swapfile problem in 6?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Nov 15 05:59:07 PST 2005

Rob <spamrefuse at yahoo.com> wrote:
 > Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
 > > Since you can compile a kernel without it, add DDB,
 > > WITNESS and INVARIANTS support, then trigger the
 > > deadlock with the swapfile, break to DDB and
 > > examine the state of the machine.  See the chapter
 > > on kernel debugging in the developers handbook for
 > > more instructions.
 >
 > Thanks, but for now, I cannot compile a new kernel,
 > because the kernel compilation terminates with
 > insufficient swap space error. Apparently 32 MB is
 > not enough for a new kernel compilation.

Remove the "-pipe" option from CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS in your
/etc/make.conf file.  That will serialize compiler stages
that normally run in parallel, so it'll require less memory.
Also make sure that no processes run that you don't need,
i.e. kill cron, usbd, sendmail, ntpd and whatever else you
don't absolutely need.

I don't know if those measures will enable you to compile
the kernel with 32 Mbytes, but it's worth a try.

Best regards
   Oliver

"C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie.