em devices not sending proper arp packets ...

Colin Farley Colin.Farley at ecarecenters.com
Mon Nov 14 12:51:45 PST 2005

I have this same problem on some production servers running
4.10-RELEASE-p16.  My work around is to set the arp cache timeout on our
2811 router to 10 seconds.

Colin

             David Kirchner
             <dpk at dpk.net>
             owner-freebsd-sta         "Marc G. Fournier"
             ble at freebsd.org           <scrappy at hub.org>
                                                                        cc
                                       freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
             11/14/2005 02:40                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: em devices not sending proper
                                       arp packets ...

On 11/14/05, David Kirchner <dpk at dpk.net> wrote:
> We've had this problem too. Some have suggested turning on "portfast"
> on the Cisco switches, but that doesn't resolve it. It causes severely
> long delays when doing net installs (sysinstall has a very long retry
> time for DNS lookups, measured in minutes). Ultimately the problem is
> that the driver changed some time in the 4 branch (we think it was
> between 4.1 and 4.2 or 4.2 and 4.3)

Sorry to reply to myself here, I forgot to add: The problem is still
present in 6.0-RELEASE, and can be seen while running sysinstall.
Haven't tried 6.0-STABLE (can't get -RELEASE to install due to
unrelated bug bin/88872). According to cvsweb, 6.0-RELEASE has the
latest Intel driver.

Also: The bug you're seeing may be unrelated to the bug I was seeing,
but I suspect they may be similar. Arps just don't seem to be going
out like they should