Performance problem since updating from 6.0-RELEASE to 6.0-STABLE last friday

Ulrich Spoerlein q at galgenberg.net
Mon Nov 14 02:58:59 PST 2005

Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:
> Last friday I did a cvsup src/buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel/installworld/mergemaster
> on my laptop from 6.0-RELEASE to 6.0-STABLE and since the performance of my laptop (Dell
> Precision M70 with a Pentium M 2GHz) is not good. It behaves like if the bus was saturated.
> I noticed that sound skips when I play a mp3 with xmms and it also skips when I play dvds
> (with mplayer, ogle or vlc). I have tried to recompile a kernel with apic disabled since I
> had some performance issues with this enabled before 6.0-stable, but it didn't fix
> anything. Does somebody have an idea of what change in the FreeBSD sources could be causing
> this?

/me too, and I switched back to 6.0-RELEASE because of that. The problem
is the smart battery support that was merged shortly after 6.0-RELEASE.
Running wmbsdbatt the system freezes for 0.5s every 10s or so, this is
because wmbsdbatt is polling for the battery status. Disabling wmbsdbatt
everything was back to normal.

This can also be reproduced here with a acpiconf -i loop.

Other sources say, it's the thermal stuff thats blocking the OS, but for
me it's battery status. (Dell Inspiron 8600c, Pentium-M)

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44