a few problems with 6.0-RELEASE on IBM T41p

Petr Holub hopet at ics.muni.cz
Sun Nov 13 20:39:54 PST 2005

Hi,

since I've upgraded from 6.0-BETA4 to 6.0-RELEASE (using binary
upgrade on contrary to 6.0-BETA4, which was binary from BETA2, which
was clean install ;-) ), I'm experiencing multiple problems which were
not present on BETA4:
1) when rebooting, the system freezes on message
   Shutting down ACPI
   and looks like intending to never reboot
2) I get rather regular freezes in X when running GL with drm acceleration;
   I've rebuilt both xorg-server-snap and dri-devel from sources
   but it freezes still after couple of seconds of glxgears (while
   it worked fine on BETA4 achieving slightly above 2100 fps)
3) psm0: unable to allocate IRQ
   when both psm and acpi_ibm are present in the kernel; this is also
   described also in one of my recent posts:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=607372+0+archive/2005/freebsd-stabl
e/20051113.freebsd-stable
4) ipw (with internal 2100B card) can freeze the machine under load
   on rather rare occasions

There are also other problems with ipw, as it sometimes ceases to
work under heavier load (without freezing the system). But that was
also occuring on BETA2 - BETA4.

Alas none of those situations produces kernel panic, so there is no
dump to send :( Any ideas? Looks to me like there is some significant
problem with ACPI... (should I cross-post this to acpi@ ?)

Thanks,
Petr

                            Petr Holub
CESNET z.s.p.o.                       Supercomputing Center Brno
Zikova 4                             Institute of Compt. Science
162 00 Praha 6, CZ                            Masaryk University
Czech Republic                     Botanicka 68a, 60200 Brno, CZ
e-mail: Petr.Holub at cesnet.cz               phone: +420-549493944
                                             fax: +420-541212747
                                       e-mail: hopet at ics.muni.cz