mplayer + bktr

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Sun Nov 13 17:24:00 PST 2005

On Monday 14 November 2005 01:02, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 07:13, Miguel Mendez wrote:
> > > If you add immediatemode=0 to the tv args it will do it.
> >
> > I've just tried that and the speed drops to something like 5-6 fps.
> > Interesting problem.
>
> Yeah, I suspect there is something wrong with the audio sampling, but I
> haven't looked at it properly.

I myself am not really doing anything with capturing, but some ideas that may
be helpful:

FWIW, from what I know in ring capture mode the video gets synch'd by the
audio by having enough frames per audio sample. So if audio sample size or
expected speed or expected kHz is somehow wrong...

Also the code for ring capture mode (as opposed to immediate which does not do
audio but does give a video one could capture at 25 fps) has its own timing
(perhaps it uses rtc down the line, I dunno, is rtc.ko alright?). You may get
into a worst-worst-worst-even worst scenario where the software timer
degrades on and on possibly.

Maybe capturing only works well if you use immediate (case 2 in bktr(4) IIRC)
and you should capture audio seperately and later merge them to frames.

> > > I don't use either of those, but a small program I wrote which captures
> > > YUV frames and uses the Xv extension doesn't show the problem.

Capturing only pictures at 25 fps (with mplayer vo) can be handled easily.

Dan