issues with installworld on fbsd6 & libcom_err

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Fri Nov 11 07:05:00 PST 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 09:17:10AM -0500, Eric Ekong wrote:
> I had no errors when building world, but it seems each time I have
> tried to installworld I come up with the same error.  It shows up in
> the lib/libcom_err directory.  No matter what shell I try fixes the
> issue.  I have gone as far as to delete all the directories in /usr/src
> and re cvsup.  I have no options in /etc/make.conf outside of the
> ones put there by perl and KERNCONF=KERNELNAME.  Like I said it builds
> with no problem, but error code 1 outs each time during make
> installworld.

You're probably using -jX with installworld.  If so, a fix for this
has been in HEAD as of a few days:

: ru          2005-11-03 08:56:39 UTC
:
:   FreeBSD src repository
:
:   Modified files:
:     .                    Makefile.inc1
:     share/mk             bsd.info.mk
:   Log:
:   Serialize access to the info/dir file; needed for parallel installs.
:
:   Reported by:    scottl
:
:   I'm not very fond of using the non-standard lockf(1) here, but I
:   have no better idea at the moment.  NetBSD uses ln(1) to create a
:   lock file, but this approach can result in a deadlock if make is
:   interrupted, leaving an orphaned lock file.
:
:   Revision  Changes    Path
:   1.514     +1 -1      src/Makefile.inc1
:   1.72      +1 -0      src/share/mk/bsd.info.mk

I'm not happy with this because it broke NFS installs.  Once I find
a proper fix, I will also make sure to MFC it to RELENG_6.

--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru at FreeBSD.org