upgrading 5.4 -> 6.0 without reinstalling. safe ?

Filip Lenaerts filip at freeshell.org
Thu Nov 10 15:20:16 PST 2005

> You have an option to use the FreeBSD agp device support or nVidia's. I
> have no idea what criteria one might use to select between them.
>
> > i'll try recompiling this evening the port and try a boot -s :)
>
> If the device is loaded from /boot/loader.conf you might need to disable
> that in order for the boot to single-user to work. YMMV.

the upgrade was successful! tnx, jan, for the tips and the list for accurate information on this subject.

overview of the 5.4-release to RELENG_6 upgrade:

following the steps as described in the UPDATING document

with additional disabling of '3th party' modules (see also [1] in updating)

nvidia driver: comment out nvidia_load=YES in /boot/loader.conf
linux emu: comment out linux_load=YES in /boot/loader.conf
vmware: chmod a-x of /usr/local/etc/rc.d/rtc.sh and vmware.sh

at this point i recompiled successfully the new nvidia driver.

tnx everyone and esp. the freebsd team for this release!

filip

--

----
http://filip.freeshell.org