gnome-upgrade.sh

Michael C. Shultz ringworm01 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 09:32:19 PST 2005

On Wednesday 09 November 2005 18:26, Paul Root wrote:
> Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > ***********************
> > This message has been scanned by the InterScan for CSC-SSM and found to
> > be free of known security risks. ***********-***********
>
> port and install or restart gnome-upgrade.sh
>
> >> I'm now assuming that since all gnome has been wiped off the
> >> disk, that the thing to do is build/install the port directly.
> >> Starting that up, I seem to be having the same downloading difficulties.
> >
> > As an alternative to gnome-upgrade.sh you may want to consider
> > using sysutils/portmanager, all you need do is run
> >
> > portmanager x11/gnome2
> >
> > It'll do the upgrade no problem, tested it twice now myself.
>
> Interesting. The web page said specifically don't do portupgrade.

I didn't say portupgrade, it is sysutils/portmanager

> My main problem is it's having trouble downloading, I think. I'm
> not sure why. We found problems on our Pix (actually the new
> ASA firewall) and the port the machine is on. We were getting half
> duplex, but those are all fixed now. Curiously, command line ftp
> never has a problem downloading, it's fetch (I think it's using fetch),
> that can't seem to download.

While your problem has nothing to do with gnome-upgrade.sh, portmanager
is designed to automatically pickup from where it left off, so stopping and
starting isn't a problem, and it won't remove a port until its replacement is
successfully built so if the port didn't fetch you won't lose anything,
portmanager will just move on to the next port that can be upgraded,  it is
very fail safe.

-Mike

Note: I removed stable at freebsd.org from the return address as it is a dupe
of freebsd-stable at freebsd.org.