upgrading 5.4 -> 6.0 without reinstalling. safe ?

Marwan Burelle Marwan.Burelle at lri.fr
Thu Nov 10 06:25:05 PST 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 02:13:26PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Under some circumstances it can also be useful to have
> an "emergency user" which is not dependant on anything
> outside the base system (i.e. doesn't use anything from
> /usr/local, doesn't have its home on an NFS volume,
> doesn't has its account information on NIS etc.).  It
> should be a member of the wheel group so it can do "su".

In the same idea, I never change root's shell (and often on NIS
environnement I keep the "least uper bound" shell of all install and
had a little trick to startup files to find my fav' shell at login and
then exec it ... )

I think also that root should have /rescue/*sh as shell (static
versions) just to be sure ...

--
Burelle Marwan,
Equipe Bases de Donnees - LRI