After 6.0-RELEASE, still cannot find ATA disk com VIA8235

João Carlos Mendes Luis jonny at jonny.eng.br
Thu Nov 10 03:29:35 PST 2005

Hi,

     After 5.4-RELEASE I did try to install FreeBSD on a spare desktop at work,
but it failed to boot, with a kernel trap 12 and ATA_IDENTIFY time out.

     Knowning that 6.0 has a completely new ata driver, I did it again.  Now the
system boots, and shows absolutely no error message.  But also could not
identify neither the Samsung Hard disk, nor the CDROM on the VIA8235 ata interface.

     This same machine is running Fedora Core 3 and Windows XP SP2 perfectly.
Indeedm this email is comming out from it, over Windows XP.

     The motherboard is an ASUS P4VP-MX, with a 2.0GHz P4 CPU, and 1G RAM.  The
harddisk is a Samsung SP0411N, on primary master, and the CDROM is an LG
GCR-8523B, on secondary slave.  I also did try with a DVD-writer on secondary
master, with no success.

     Any ideas?

     TIA,

		Jonny