Fails to boot after buildworld

myfreebsd at cox.net myfreebsd at cox.net
Wed Nov 9 17:54:19 PST 2005

Hey all,

I don't know if this is a bug somewhere in the source but my system will not boot after I buildworld FreeBSD 6.0. I get the error:

Can't work out which disk to boot from

This error occurs right after the loader is booted and before the FreeBSD menu. System of course stalls here and says to press a key to reboot.

I used the GENERIC kernel, empty loader.conf, my cvs tag = RELENG_6 and my make.conf has:

CPUTYPE?=pentium4
CFLAGS= -O2 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -pipe -funroll-loops -ffast-math
CXXFLAGS+= -fconserve-space
COPTFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -funroll-loops -ffast-math

System runs fine from install just fails after updating source and rebuilding "world".

System is:
Dell Dimension 9100
P4 3.0ghz HTT
1 20G IDE