What should be in GENERIC? (was Re: Facilitating binary kernel upgrades)

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Wed Nov 9 15:34:41 PST 2005

Robert Watson wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Colin Percival wrote:
>> I find this argument hard to accept.  The vast majority of FreeBSD
>> users will never need the NFS_ROOT option, and many systems do not
>> even have the hardware for serial or parallel ports, yet those are
>> supported in the GENERIC kernel.
>
> While I agree with you in principle, I think many people would disagree
> with your assertion about serial ports :-).

Let me rephrase: Many people who run GENERIC kernels don't have hardware
which supports serial ports.  I'm not concerned about the people who run
hundreds of headless servers, since they typically build their own kernels
anyway.

> With regard to the specific three kernel options mentioned above:
> [snip]

I should have known that you'd be able to explain why these options
aren't enabled in the GENERIC kernel.  Thanks for the explanations.

Now I'll run off to install 6.0 on my NAT system so that I can run a
GENERIC kernel on it again. :-)

Colin Percival