5.4 -> 6.0 gre changes?

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Wed Nov 9 13:26:39 PST 2005

Hello!

After updating from 5.4 to 6.0 - which went absolutely painless,
BTW - I'm having a little difficulty getting my gre tunnel to the
office intranet to work.

This is the only thread I found via google, that possibly matches
my problem. Unfortunately I cannot read Russian.

http://groups.google.com/group/fido7.ru.unix.bsd/browse_thread/thread/38faf67ac1e3a850/399cf93a1d53994d

In short:

gif_interfaces="gre0"
gifconfig_gre0="w.x.y.z t.u.v.w"	# outside IP addresses of both GWs
ifconfig_gre0="10.1.1.1/32 10.0.0.248 link1"

static_routes="vpn"
route_vpn="10.0.0.0/8 10.0.0.248"

Worked with 5.4 like a charm.

Now with 6.0 the interface is up and configured correctly (checked with
ifconfig), netstat -rn looks fine, but seemingly it doesn't pass
packets. This is the case after each reboot.

"Touching" the interface in some way with ifconfig seems to whack it
back to senses. Things like "ifconfig down && ifconfig up" or
"ifconfig -link1 && ifconfig link1" or even "ifconfig debug"
(which seems not to have any effect) make packets flow again.

Any idea on where to look further?

Thanks,

Patrick M. Hausen
Leiter Netzwerke und Sicherheit

P.S. I do secure said tunnel with IPSec - just got that out of the way
for testing purposes now.
--
punkt.de GmbH         Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Vorholzstr. 25        Tel. 0721 9109 -0 Fax: -100