What should be in GENERIC? (was Re: Facilitating binary kernel upgrades)

Miguel mmiranda at 123.com.sv
Wed Nov 9 06:47:21 PST 2005

John-Mark Gurney wrote:

>Miguel wrote this message on Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 14:09 -0600:
>

>>I dont understand exactly why do you have to recompile, unless a new
>>future is needed, like SMP, isnt it?, what harm is doing those extra megs?
>>

>In the general case, no, you do not need to recompile..  Those extra
>megs aren't doing any harm...  (besides taking up memory)..
>
>I recompile because I'm both familar with the kernel (if I break
>anything, I can clean it up) , and the extra size of the kernel means
>that I loose that much memory to running programs...

That sounds like a valid reason to me, so if you have little memory you
should try learn what options you don't need and recompile your kernel
without them, if, like in my case, memory is not a big constraint, you
better stay with generic, unless recompile is _really_ nedded.
All is clearer for me now,
thanks