USB Card Reader Permissions

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Nov 8 16:23:28 PST 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:20, Andy Fraser wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 Nov 2005 10:11 pm, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > > I was wondering if someone could tell me how to set the permissions for
> > > a USB card reader when it's plugged in? I've been Googling for hours
> > > and found nothing concrete so far although I'll keep looking.
> >
> > devfs.conf can do it.
>
> I thought that was only for devices that exist at boot? I have my DVD
> burner set up in devfs.conf so I can use it as my user (reading and burning
> with some other tweaks[1]).

Nope, it's applied to all devices as they are created as well as pre-existing
ones.

> ...and this turned out to be the missing piece in the jigsaw.

Yeah it took me a while to find out you needed that too :)

> [1] One of the reasons I first tried FreeBSD as a desktop OS was because it
> has better support for CD/DVD burning as a user than Linux does (I still
> can't get burning working reliably with Gentoo but FreeBSD works
> flawlessly). And the sound system is much better but that's another story.
> :-)

Weird, I would expect it to be largely the same.

PS another way to do this would be to create a devd file which does the
chmod's for this particular device (instead of blindly changing all da
devices).

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum