New user confused by need to do huge upgrade

Michael VInce mv at roq.com
Mon Nov 7 22:32:35 PST 2005

Alistair wrote:

> Hello, All
>
> I am a user of Linux for many years (and an aged BSD sysadmin from
> 1985-1989), but laterly mainly use Gentoo.  FreeBSD seemed to be a
> good alternative, so I get the 6.0 release a few days after it was
> released.
>
> Being a Gentoo person, I like the ports system, but with limited time
> on my hands, I also like the compiled packages.  I can get a working
> system from packages then compile my own ports as need or want be.  Or
> so I thought.
>
> I installed from two CDs, and got a working KDE system.  Now, I want
> to do Firefox from ports with my own make.conf for P4 optimisation.
> Good!  So, I sync with the sources using cvsup (just like emerge
> --sync) change to the Firefox ports directory, type "make" and enter
> dependency hell like has never been known before.  Everything that
> depends upon GTK2 must be updated before Firefox can be compiled!
>
> I thought that FreeBSD would be more stable than Gentoo and Linux
> distros in general.  I now find that there is the most major release
> step (5.4 to 6.0) and within a matter of a few days later, both Gnome
> and KDE are subject to huge updates that require many hours (or maybe
> days - it's not done yet) of CPU time.
>
> Maybe I am missing something.  However, I just cannot see why this is
> right. What I thought that FreeBSD would give me that Gentoo did not
> is a coherent system within which deveopment was co-ordinated.
> Instead, I seem to find the opposite.  The core group can offer a
> major release of the OS, while missing the fact that two hugely
> important development groups are just days off their own major releases.
>
> Maybe there is a level of sanity I am missing as a newcomer to BSD,
> but I would really like someone to tell me where to find it so that I
> can stop having to use this bloody Windows laptop to post here ;-)

Check out the UPDATING notes for anything about KDE
cat /usr/ports/UPDATING | grep -A 13 -B 3 "kde" | grep -A 14 "20051105"

Update your ports tree, then portupgrade your KDE packages,
portupgrade -Rk /var/db/pkg/kde-3.4.2
Go to sleep and wake up with the latest KDE and feel good about the fact
that you aren't stealing from SCO compared to using Gentoo Linux :)

Mike