5.x, 6.x and CPUTYPE

Joel Hatton freebsd-stable at auscert.org.au
Mon Nov 7 18:05:20 PST 2005

> I always build my production servers with CPUTYPE=i686 so they can be
> transplanted to any machine with a PPro or better processor (or even
> qemu if necessary).

Thanks, Craig. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in pursuing this method.
Do you know of any particular disadvantages of continuing with this
less-than-optimised model - I guess I mean, is this something that is
likely to break or become uneconomical at some point?

cheers,
joel

-- Joel Hatton --
Security Analyst                    | Hotline: +61 7 3365 4417
AusCERT - Australia's national CERT | Fax:     +61 7 3365 7031
The University of Queensland        | WWW:     www.auscert.org.au
Qld 4072 Australia                  | Email:   auscert at auscert.org.au