New user confused by need to do huge upgrade

Ronald Klop ronald-freebsd8 at klop.yi.org
Mon Nov 7 16:06:51 PST 2005

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 00:49:18 +0100, Alistair
<alistair at tyeurgain.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello, All
>
> I am a user of Linux for many years (and an aged BSD sysadmin from
> 1985-1989), but laterly mainly use Gentoo.  FreeBSD seemed to be a good
> alternative, so I get the 6.0 release a few days after it was released.
>
> Being a Gentoo person, I like the ports system, but with limited time on
> my hands, I also like the compiled packages.  I can get a working system
> from packages then compile my own ports as need or want be.  Or so I
> thought.
>
> I installed from two CDs, and got a working KDE system.  Now, I want to
> do Firefox from ports with my own make.conf for P4 optimisation.  Good!
>   So, I sync with the sources using cvsup (just like emerge --sync)
> change to the Firefox ports directory, type "make" and enter dependency
> hell like has never been known before.  Everything that depends upon
> GTK2 must be updated before Firefox can be compiled!
>
> I thought that FreeBSD would be more stable than Gentoo and Linux
> distros in general.  I now find that there is the most major release
> step (5.4 to 6.0) and within a matter of a few days later, both Gnome
> and KDE are subject to huge updates that require many hours (or maybe
> days - it's not done yet) of CPU time.
>
> Maybe I am missing something.  However, I just cannot see why this is
> right. What I thought that FreeBSD would give me that Gentoo did not is
> a coherent system within which deveopment was co-ordinated. Instead, I
> seem to find the opposite.  The core group can offer a major release of
> the OS, while missing the fact that two hugely important development
> groups are just days off their own major releases.

The portstree is tagged for a release, so if you cvsup to the tag for the
release, you get the 'supported' ports. If you cvsup to the most recent
portstree there is always a change for a big update.

The idea behind the KDE/GNOME update is to commit the stuff after the
6.0-RELEASE in stead of before too have stable KDE/GNOME packages in the
release.

BTW: use the port sysutils/portupgrade. This fixes a lot of dependency
troubles.
BTW2: if you cvsup to the latest portstree, you can't expect everything to
be available in packages. In FreeBSD ports are the focus, packages come
next (currently).
BTW3: http://www.freshports.org/

Ronald.

--