kernel: calcru: runtime went backwards

Niki Denev nike_d at cytexbg.com
Mon Nov 7 04:05:04 PST 2005

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> Giovanni P. Tirloni wrote:
>
>> Try this,
>>
>>  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/book.html#CALCRU-NEGATIVE
>

> Thank you.  I must admit that I missed this.  Unfortunately all the
> suggestions in this FAQ seem to be out of date - none of the suggested
> sysctls or kernel config options seem to apply to FreeBSD 6.
>
> Stephen

I have the same problem after the switch to 6.0 from 5.4 :

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-November/019171.html

I've set the kern.timecounter sysctl to i8254 as suggested by Joseph Koshy.
Now it seems that i get these messages rarely, maybe onece a day.
Before this i get maybe 4-5 daily.
Now it clearly looks that this has something to do with excessive thread
usage.

--niki