Sound skipping problems

Sebastiaan van Erk sebster at sebster.com
Mon Nov 7 03:27:53 PST 2005

Hi,

Thank you for your reply!

I tried the patch, but unfortunately when I reboot with the patch (which
cleanly applies and compiles), audio stops working. The device (pcm0) is
still there, the mixer is set ok, and everything looks normal, just no
sound comes out of the speakers.

I have no idea why the patch doesn't work, but if you want any more
information I'll be happy to supply it to you. The sound skipping seems
at least fixed by just increasing the buffer size, but don't know how
reliable this workaround is compared to a structural workaround.

Furthermore I don't know if this message is relevant, but it seems the
snd_8233 driver doesn't like my audio codec very much:

pcm0: <VIA VT8237> port 0xec00-0xecff irq 22 at device 17.5 on pci0
pcm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
pcm0: <Unknown AC97 Codec (id = 0x56494170)>

Greetings,
Sebastiaan van Erk