5.x, 6.x and CPUTYPE

Joel Hatton freebsd-stable at auscert.org.au
Sun Nov 6 22:21:58 PST 2005

Hi,

I've noticed that some CPU definitions have changed in /etc/make.conf
between 5 and 6. For good or for bad, I have up until now been building
5.x for both p3 and p4 architectures with 'i686' but this particular
definition's removal from 6.x has given me cause to rethink my strategy.
I'd like to know:

Should I use 'i386' and build once for all, or use p3/p4 defs and build
once for each? And if the latter, why? (does this give any worthwhile
performance increase?)

If I don't specify a CPUTYPE at all, will this be auto-detected in some
way (which would probably not suit me) or will it fall back to i386?

Is this a consistent requirement for world/kernel/ports?

Finally, when building on a single host, but where multiple requirements
are being met, is it possible to define different make.conf files for make
or is it easier to just edit this file before each build?

thanks,
joel

-- Joel Hatton --
Security Analyst                    | Hotline: +61 7 3365 4417
AusCERT - Australia's national CERT | Fax:     +61 7 3365 7031
The University of Queensland        | WWW:     www.auscert.org.au
Qld 4072 Australia                  | Email:   auscert at auscert.org.au