5.4 -> 6.0 buildworld failure

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sat Nov 5 12:24:18 PST 2005

Markus Buretorp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE to 6.0. I've done a cvsup
> to RELENG_6 and RELENG_6_0, I've ran make cleanworld, make clean, rm -rf
> /usr/obj/*, etc; but nothing helps.
>
> This is the error

I'm not entirely sure why so many users have so much troube upgrading.
The process is outlined well on the FBSD site and to surmise:

Assuming you have done your cvsup of the src tree:

# cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster
# ./mergemaster.sh -p

Drop to Single User Mode:
As the superuser, you can execute:

# shutdown now

from a running system, which will drop it to single user mode.
Alternatively, reboot the system, and at the boot prompt,
enter the -s flag. The system will then boot single user.
At the shell prompt you should then run:

# fsck -p
# mount -u /
# mount -a -t ufs
# swapon -a

# cd /usr/obj
# chflags -R noschg *
# rm -rf *

# cd /usr/src

# make buildworld

# cd /usr/src
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
# make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

# shutdown now

# fsck -p
# mount -u /
# mount -a -t ufs
# swapon -a

# cd /usr/src
# make installworld

# shutdown -r now

Done.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.