Nogobble, nogobble

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Nov 4 06:39:47 PST 2005

Hmm....  I confess I rather like the idea of being able to "include"
chunks of kernel config to make my own, and well-understand the concerns
that rwatson (for example) raised.

I'm less familiar with the anti-foot-shooting concerns Kris raised.

It seems to me that GENERIC is being used for a couple of rather
distinct purposes:

* As a kernel config that ought to work "out of the box" on most
  hardware (for the arch in question).

* As a "base" config from which to begin customizations/mods.

So I'm wondering if, perhaps, it might help to consider the following
variant of the current theme:

* Decompose GENERIC into a set if "functional blocks" of config info.

* Then make GENERIC itself merely a set of "include" directives, perhaps
  with some commentary.

Then when I want to create a kernel config for my laptop (which is
unlikely, for example, to need very much RAID controller support),
rather than including GENERIC and specifying a bunch of "nodevice"
directives, I could copy GENERIC (as I've done before the "include" was
available), see where the part is the includes the RAID controllers and
either delete it or comment it out.

Or, if I am of the mind to do so, I could *still* include GENERIC, then
add "nodevice" directives.

If this type of thing would help, I'd likely be willing to try my hand
at the decomposition & PR submisison (with a patch or two).

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Prediction is difficult, especially if it involves the future. -- Niels Bohr

See http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for public key.