burncd and dvd-drives

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
Fri Nov 4 01:28:19 PST 2005

Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> I was and am a great fan of the burncd utility.
> Very fast, simple and cli..
>
> But as almost any new computer is supplied with a dvd drive this nice
> program has become quit useless. It does not support those drives.
>
> My question is: will it ever do?
>
> I mean, cd-rom drives are losing terrain with each day passed.
> Or will I be "forced" to either buy an oldfashioned cdrom drive in my
> new machines? ; or recompile for atapicam ? ; or any other solution?
>
> Maybe I ask for to much. I'm no programmer myself. I have no idea
> whatsoever about the code changes needed in burncd to support at least
> the burning of CD's. (dvd's are different).

burncd is capable of burning dvd+rw and dvd+r and for this purposes I
use it frequently. It is easy to use, part of the OS and, in my opinion,
  a very powerful tool.
But burncd has problems burning and especially __closing__ cd-r, cd-rw
(fixate does not work, fixating with cdrecord remains the previously
broken media clear and usable after burning with burncd and fixating
with cdrecord.