burncd and dvd-drives

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 4 00:46:23 PST 2005

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 09:18:31AM +0100, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> I was and am a great fan of the burncd utility.
> Very fast, simple and cli..

Cdrecord is also a cli program. And you probably have it installed,
because mkisofs is in the same port. :-) It does need atapicam, though.

> But as almost any new computer is supplied with a dvd drive this nice
> program has become quit useless. It does not support those drives.

Hmm, cdrecord happily burns CDs in a recorder that's also capable of
burning DVDs.

> My question is: will it ever do?
>
> I mean, cd-rom drives are losing terrain with each day passed.
> Or will I be "forced" to either buy an oldfashioned cdrom drive in my
> new machines? ; or recompile for atapicam ? ; or any other solution?

For burning DVD's you can use /usr/ports/sysutils/dvd+rw-tools. I'm
using atapicam, so I don't know if it works with plain ATAPI drives. The
manual page for growisofs implies you need (simulated) SCSI.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt