Nogobble, nogobble

Matt Emmerton matt at gsicomp.on.ca
Thu Nov 3 19:37:56 PST 2005

> > Kris said:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 05:39:28PM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
>
> > My humble opinion, for what it's worth, is that the GENERIC kernel
> > configuration should be very heavily commented and documented and
> > that the DEFAULT file will then be completely unnecessary.
>
> Thanks for your $0.02, but that doesn't work in reality, as discussed
> previously.

Wouldn't have building a config(8) that checked for dependencies a smarter
and simpler mechanism?  This would have allowed us to keep GENERIC as-is and
not violate POLA.  Apologies if I missed the discussion -- but the
signal-to-noise ratio has been quite high on -stable (and -current) through
the 5.x series.

For Brett -- the LINT kernel is still around -- but it needs to be generated
by hand (since it pulls in platform-specific sections).  Try a "make LINT"
in /usr/src/sys/<arch>/conf.  Perhaps this should be part of buildworld and
the release procedure so that the proper LINT kernel is available "out of
the box".

--
Matt Emmerton