Disk 100% busy

michael meltzer michaelmeltzer at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 18:16:18 PST 2005

--- Francisco Reyes <francisco at natserv.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>
> > If you're using maildir, that is one of the
> situations which works pretty
> > well with RAID-5, although RAID-10 is also
> (always? :-) a good choice.
>
> How about for database? In particular postgresql.
> How bad would RAID 5 be for it?
>
> I still have some, limited, hopes I can convince the
> owner of the company
> to go with RAID 10 with 10K rpm drives.. the most
> likelyhood we will go
> with RAID 5, 7200rpm drives for a database project
> ahead. Alternatively I
> will see how RAID 5 with 10K rpm SCSI drives
> compares price wise, but I am
> sure it will be substantially more. :-(

I would subject you checkout:

Controller:
http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata2-9000.asp
16 port muili-lane, with BU and 265meg, cheaper than
most SCSI controller, faster, well supported and you
need the spindles for high IO, about 700$ plus BU and
memory(not sure they are in stock yet, only out a
week+-)

Disk:
WD Raptor, 74 GB, 10000 RPM Hard Drive
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=65&Language=en
146$ vs 210$ for SCSI (newegg.com)

Enclosure:
enlight 316 with Multilane back plane, 650w triple
reduncany PS and the two extra exhaust fans.
http://www.enlightusa.com/product_details.asp?id=4
The Multilane will keep cables under control and the
thermals look good. about $1400+-

pick your MB and memory...................

Happen to be specing out some new db servers this week
-mjm