GENERIC and DEFAULTS

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Wed Nov 2 15:25:34 PST 2005

On 03/11/2005, at 9:09 AM, David Wolfskill wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 04:39:30PM -0500, Ken Menzel wrote:
>> If I include GENERIC can I comment out  the following?
>> #cpu            I486_CPU
>> #cpu            I586_CPU
>
> Well, it's your (copy of) the file; I suppose you can do whatever you
> want to with it.  :-)

Ken's original point is a valid one. The way we have created config
files in the past was to duplicate GENERIC and edit the copy. Recent
postings have indicated that the new methodology will be to 'include'
GENERIC and override certain features using the nodevice tag. This
sounds like a great idea to avoid using diff to figure out what
crucial features changed from one release to another.

But it will only be useful if we don't have to edit the GENERIC file.
Otherwise we are back where we started, editing a file which is
overwritten by cvsup.

Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8