Poor network performance: a lot of timeouts

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Mon May 30 14:38:19 PDT 2005

Sebastian Ahndorf wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
>>> Both sides must have same config, autosense should work if there is
>>> no config possibility in other end.
>>

>> autosense may in fact not work, especially on low-quality NICs like rl.
>>

> I don't agree to that.
> I had similar problems with my network using a cheap switch with some
> realtek nics. I had the nics running 100baseTX Full Duplex.
> Changing this to autosense made the problems gone.

I would second that. My cheap rl card performs better with auto than
with either 100TX-full or 100TX-half ('tho its always auto'ed to 100TX
full duplex anyway).

And by way of interest,  I have just experienced a similar problem with
NICs + 100 baseT switch - it was a 3Com Office connect card (xl driver)
that I had the issues with, and ended up replacing it with a DLink (vr
driver).

Cheers

Mark