FreeBSD 5.4 Dropping off Network

Xin LI delphij at frontfree.net
Fri May 27 23:46:23 PDT 2005

Hi, Jovan,

在 2005-05-27五的 13:16 -0400,Jovan Ross写道:
> I am experiencing problems keeping FreeBSD 5.4 connected. I have uptimes of
> 5 or 6 days - sometimes 10 or 11, then, without freezing the machine
> totally, it stops responding to network traffic. I get DOS attacked every
> once and a while and my logs are also filled with failed auths from password
> crackers but it seems that I have the worst effects from it. I don't have
> any web traffic yet b/c this is my development machine. I have portsentry
> with a default open firewall config running. I even took the firewall &
> portsentry off and I get the same problem. I am new to FreeBSD and have done
> the standard security procedures that new ones are advised to do:
[snip]

Your configuration looks reasonable to me.  Would you please give us a
look at your kernel configuration?  Typically a SSH scan of password
won't cause the problem you are describing, and this is likely to
indicate some other problems, like:
 - Firewall dynamic rules table filled.
 - Some critical resources has been exhausted
 - Maybe some bugs in network adapter driver

You may want to try "netstat -m", and ping other nodes when the
networking is not working properly.  These information would be helpful
for tracking down the problem.  Also, a /var/run/dmesg.boot would give
us some information about your hardware.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij delphij net>  http://www.delphij.net/