Performance of 4.x vs 5.x (Re: Lifetime of FreeBSD branches)

Krzysztof Kowalik kkowalik at uci.agh.edu.pl
Wed May 25 01:57:43 PDT 2005

Krzysztof Kowalik [kkowalik at uci.agh.edu.pl] wrote:
> [...]
> I will try to put my hands on the mentioned AMD box once again, to run
> some current 6.0 on it.

OK, got the box. I ran a 5.4-RELEASE, identical (as I just restored
dumps of my current workstation on it) as the one not giving problems on
Intel-based system. Regardless of the state of USB, I can observe the
mentioned issues (scattered sound, lagging mouse in X, etc while
untarring firefox's sources).

With USB, vmstat -i shows:

interrupt                          total       rate
irq1: atkbd0                         904          2
irq3: sio1                             1          0
irq4: sio0                             1          0
irq6: fdc0                            10          0
irq8: rtc                          56478        127
irq12: psm0                         4912         11
irq13: npx0                            1          0
irq14: ata0                         8529         19
irq15: ata1                           63          0
irq16: fxp0 uhci1                 437384        987
irq17: pcm0                         1576          3
irq0: clk                         441323        996
Total                             951182       2147

... and without it:

interrupt                          total       rate
irq1: atkbd0                         164          1
irq3: sio1                             1          0
irq4: sio0                             1          0
irq6: fdc0                            10          0
irq8: rtc                          19340        127
irq12: psm0                         7005         46
irq13: npx0                            1          0
irq14: ata0                        18731        123
irq15: ata1                           61          0
irq16: fxp0                          132          0
irq17: pcm0                         2448         16
irq0: clk                         151117        994
Total                             199011       1309

cvsup-ing current 6.0-CURRENT right now, to check the giantless VFS once
again. It will probably take an hour to get it up and running.

If you have any more ideas, while I still have the box, I'd be willing
to try, time permitting.

--
Krzysztof Kowalik               |  () ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Computer Center, AGH UST        |  /\ Support plain text e-mail