Performance of 4.x vs 5.x (Re: Lifetime of FreeBSD branches)

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon May 23 14:12:21 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 05:00:13PM -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 3:51 pm, Kris Kennaway said:
>
> > The common wisdom has been that FreeBSD 4.11 is faster than 5.4 on
> > single processor systems.  Imagine my surprise when I went and actually
> > benchmarked this on the package build machines, and found that 5.4
> > outperforms 4.11 by at least 10% when performing identical workloads on
> > identical UP hardware :-)
> >
> > Stay tuned for more details...
>
> To be honest, i have not (yet) done any specific benchmarks for my
> application, but overall, last time i used 4.x, it seemed more snappy.
> But, this is good to hear :)

One thing that probably confuses and misleads a lot of people is when
they build world or a kernel and notice that it's taking much longer
than it did under 4.x, so they assume this means that 5.x is slower
than 4.x.  It doesn't.  What it means is that 5.x and 4.x have
different C compilers, and gcc 3.x is much slower at compiling code
than gcc 2.x.  You have to be very careful to draw conclusions based
on subjective assessments like this.

Kris