Performance of 4.x vs 5.x (Re: Lifetime of FreeBSD branches)

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon May 23 12:50:37 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 03:21:32PM -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Could someone point me to a resource that outlines the expected supported
> lifetime of all the branches? Can't find anything concrete on the webpage.
>
> I'm developing a product, which i hope will run on FreeBSD. However the
> rapid development of 5, and now 6 arriving out in a few months has me
> worried if FreeBSD will be the right choice short and long term. I have
> even considered using 4.11 for its stability and speed on single processor
> systems, but I'm worried that some ports/hw will not be supported.

The common wisdom has been that FreeBSD 4.11 is faster than 5.4 on
single processor systems.  Imagine my surprise when I went and
actually benchmarked this on the package build machines, and found
that 5.4 outperforms 4.11 by at least 10% when performing identical
workloads on identical UP hardware :-)

Stay tuned for more details...

Kris