Polling sysctl's.

Thordur I. Bjornsson thib at mi.is
Sun May 15 07:06:13 PDT 2005

Hello list.
Yesterday I enabled polling on my xl0 interface and today when I had
rebooted the machine after building and installing a new kernel, I saw
something funky in dmesg:

(Taken from /var/log/console.log) This is from the same boot:
May 15 13:55:19 caulfield kernel: kern.polling.burst_max:
May 15 13:55:19 caulfield kernel: 150
May 15 13:55:19 caulfield kernel: ->
May 15 13:55:19 caulfield kernel: 10
May 15 13:55:19 caulfield kernel:
May 15 13:55:19 caulfield kernel: kern.polling.burst_max:
May 15 13:55:19 caulfield kernel: 10
May 15 13:55:19 caulfield kernel: ->
May 15 13:55:19 caulfield kernel: 300

then later:

May 15 13:55:21 caulfield kernel: kern.polling.burst_max:
May 15 13:55:21 caulfield kernel: 300
May 15 13:55:21 caulfield kernel: ->
May 15 13:55:21 caulfield kernel: 10
May 15 13:55:21 caulfield kernel:
May 15 13:55:21 caulfield kernel: kern.polling.burst_max:
May 15 13:55:21 caulfield kernel: 10
May 15 13:55:21 caulfield kernel: ->
May 15 13:55:21 caulfield kernel: 300

As you can see the system set's kern.polling.burst_max to 10 from the
150 default value then from 10 to 300 (Wich is the value I put in
sysctl.conf) then from 300 to 10 and again from 10 to 300 for the last
time.

This lookes a bit strange (to me that is). Is this the correct and
expected behavoiur ? If so would somebody mind explaing why I can't seem
to find any information regarding this on google ;)

--
Thordur I.	<thib at mi.is>
FreeBSD - Unix the way *I* like it.