Remote Printing

Mikko Työläjärvi mbsd at pacbell.net
Sat May 14 16:16:55 PDT 2005

On Sat, 14 May 2005, ya hoo wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I been reading FreeBSd docs on remote pritning.
> It mostly talks about setting up a local printer.
> In which case, I could care less about since I want to
> print to my HP Jetdirect print server.
> Mainly, I really don't want to install CUPS. I would
> just like to use the default lp that comes with
> FreeBSD.
> Can anyone direct me in the right direction?

You can configure it as a local printer, with the "device" set to
<port>@<host>.  For example:

   ps|Brother HL-1270N PostScript:\
         :sh:\
         :mx#0:\
         :lp=9100 at brother:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd/brother:\
         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Don't forget to create the spool directory.

This has worked fine for me for years.  See docs/78480.
<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=docs/78480>

   $.02,
   /Mikko