wi0 is always status: no carrier

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Thu May 12 20:36:21 PDT 2005

I've finally coerced FreeBSD 5.4 to see my PCMCIA WLAN card (with many thanks
to Warner), but it always reports "status: no carrier".  I'm attempting to
connect to an open WAP that broadcasts it's SSID, so my understanding is that
it should be as simple as "ifconfig wi0 ad.dr.es.s netmask 255.255.255.0" or
"dhclient wi0", but neither of those work.  If I do manually specify an
address, then I can ping that address, but I'm not sure if that actually
means anything.

I've also been running tcpdump on the DHCP server for that wireless network.
I can see plenty of traffic from the other machines, but absolutely nothing
from the laptop.

My /boot/loader.conf looks like:

    hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
    hint.apic.0.disabled="1"
    hw.cbb.start_memory=0xd800

Is there something else I'm blatantly missing?
--
Kirk Strauser