Use PCMCIA instead of CardBus?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu May 12 01:56:54 PDT 2005

In message: <200505101805.42166.kirk at strauser.com>
            Kirk Strauser <kirk at strauser.com> writes:
: On Tuesday 10 May 2005 04:15 pm, Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > On Monday 09 May 2005 09:42, Kirk Strauser wrote:
:
: >> Anyone?  I've just re-installed NetBSD 2.0.2 for the sake of having a BSD
: >> on it until I can possibly make FreeBSD to work, but that's certainly not
: >> my ideal solution.
:
: > I have no idea what you are asking for.
:
: Basically, for a magic formula to make my non-Cardbus PCMCIA card work under
: FreeBSD (without throwing "CIS is too long" errors) just like it does under
: OpenBSD, NetBSD, and Linux.

They work fine for me on my laptop :-).

However, there's a known issue, that's hard to resolve, on some
laptops.  If you aren't using ACPI, then you may have to specify the
host bridge's starting memory address as a tunable (in
/boot/loader.conf).  hw.pci.host_mem_start defaults to 0x80000000.
Some systems require a higher address.  Try using 0xc0000000,
0xd0000000, or 0xf0000000.  If that's not the problem, then I'll need
a more complete dmesg.

Warner