nfs bug & df: Can I lock up my kernel and overflow this buffer?

Billy Newsom smartweb at leadhill.net
Mon May 9 22:21:09 PDT 2005

Jonathan Noack wrote:
 > On 05/09/05 23:14, Billy Newsom wrote:
 >

 >  From the fstab(5) man page:
 > "The fourth field, (fs_mntops), describes the mount options associated
 > with the file system.  It is formatted as a comma separated list of
 > options.  It contains at least the type of mount (see fs_type below)
 > plus any additional options appropriate to the file system type.  See
 > the options flag (-o) in the mount(8) page and the file system specific
 > page, such as mount_nfs(8), for additional options that may be
specified."

That is how I read the man page, too, long ago.  But when I tried the -o
option on the commandline, I was unable to send mount all of the
mount_nfs commandline switches I needed.  I either misunderstand the
mount -o option, or it doesn't work for all of the mount_nfs stuff I
tried to send it.

In other words, the -o option seems to not like any of the many switches
understood by mount_nfs .... hence I seemed to be forced to use
mount_nfs directly.  And that precludes using it in fstab.

 > What trouble did you have with fstab?  You can specify as many options
 > as you want as long as you separate them with commas (I think putting a
 > '=' between an option and its value is also necessary, although I don't
 > know for sure).  For you it should look like this (assuming you want
 > read/write):
 >
 > dell:/nfs  /dellbak  nfs  rw,-s,-x=2,-T  0  0

I don't know.  Since mount wasn't able to understand those switches on
the commandline, I never tried anything in fstab, for the sake of not
causing any problems with my boot.

Anyone tried that sort of stuff in fstab?  I'm a little skeptical.

Thanks.
BN