gmirror oddities

Craig Boston craig at feniz.gank.org
Tue May 3 12:38:18 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 11:34:06AM -0700, George Hartzell wrote:
> The fix is described in the fourth comment block of Ralf's doc, either
> make the slice a sector smaller than the disk device or hardcode the
> provider name.  I've been using the hardcoding approach, and it seems
> to work for me.

I'm sorry that I don't remember who said it (I'll do some googling and
follow up if I can find the reference), but one time this came up
someone posted a very good idea which IMHO is a good enough solution to
make the default.  That is, instead of hardcoding the provider name, put
the provider *size* into the metadata.

In theory, that would give the geom classes enough information to deduce
which provider to attach to in all normal cases.  The only catch is if
the size changes somehow after it's been labeled, but that is usually
the sign of something else wrong that will eventually bite you.  It
could simply revert back to the current behavior in that case.

Craig