PostgreSQL in FreeBSD jails

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Mon May 2 14:03:34 PDT 2005

yOn Mon, 2 May 2005, Richard Coleman wrote:

> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>> There are two possible solutions:
>>
>>  - hack the SysV IPC code to use separate namespaces for each jail
>>
>>  - make PostgreSQL use POSIX shared memory instead of SysV shared
>>    memory
>>
>> I suspect that the latter is significantly easier, and would probably
>> improve performance as well.
>>
>> DES
>
> It might be easier to hack PostgreSQL so that the shared memory identifier
> depends not only on the port, but also on the IP address (which will of
> course be different for each jail).  Or better yet, to be able to specify the
> shared memory identifier to use directly in the config file.

You've all lost me here ... what exactly is the problem?  PostgreSQL works
under FreeBSD 4.x jails without any modifications, so how is PostgreSQL
itself currently broken?  It seems to me that the problem is with FreeBSD
5.x's jail side of things, if the same daemon runs fine under 4.x, but,
nto under 5.x ...

----