Weird jdk14 build

Robert Backhaus robbak at gmail.com
Mon May 2 04:33:02 PDT 2005

On 01 May 2005 09:20:55 -0400, Lowell Gilbert
<freebsd-stable-local at be-well.no-ip.com> wrote:
> Jayton Garnett <jay at codegurus.org> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > This weekend i've been reinstalling fbsd on my desktop and while
> > installing /usr/ports/java//jdk14 (yes i downloaded all the files from
> > sun and the patch-kit) While it was compiling I had a syntax error
> > something like expected "(" somewhere or other, but i noticed this
> > little message before that error:

> > Warning: This JDK may be unstable. You are advised to use the native
> > FreeBSD JDK, in ports/java/jdk14.
<<snip>>
> No; you need to use Java to build Java.  Therefore, the procedure is
> to use the precompiled Linux jdk to build the native one.  Once the
> native one is built, you can remove the Linux one.

To further clarify: That message is being produced while installing a
linux JDK, which is needed to bootstrap the new native build. Yes,
it's really annoying. To save this annoyance, make a package of it
when you are done, merely for your own use, however.
the linux JDK can (and should) be 'pkg_deinstall'ed when you are done.

pkg_deinstall linux-sun-jdk1.4\*