buggy ATA controller: I can install 4.11, but not 5.3 !?!

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Tue Mar 29 19:19:39 PST 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Mars Trading wrote:

> I think you may be on to something here.  Not that I'm an expert,
> BTW.  If I remember correctly, 4.11 doesn't use device.hints;
> device irq's and stuff were all included in the kernel
> configuration.
>
> This is no longer the case with 5.x which uses /boot/device.hints to
> tell where attached devices are.  But how does one edit
> device.hints on a boot cd?

You set the variables from the loader with the "set" command. For example,
if you need to add this to device.hints:

hint.ata.0.at="isa"

type this on the loader command line:

set hint.ata.0.at="isa"

On 4.x the hints were configured so that it would still probe the ISA
resources if the PCI attachments failed. On 5.x this is likely not the
case.  However on 5.x that "disabled by BIOS" message is gone so it should
attach if that particular message was the reason before.  However someone
clipped that message from the output so I don't even know why its failing
to attach in the first place.

So its said again ..

Use a different ATA controller. Please. The RZ1000 series should not be
used under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER.