naming of usb tty device

Mars Trading marstrade at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 00:53:45 PST 2005

Hello Rene,

On Thursday 24 March 2005 15:51, you wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 03:15:58PM +0800, Mars Trading wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I heard that tty usb devices would be renamed to /dev/cuaU#
> > replacing /dev/ucom#.  Is this going to happen in 5.4-RELEASE?
>
> This is true for 6.0 (CURRENT), in which it has already happened,
> but it is highly unlikely that it will be MFC'd to RELENG_5 (and
> thus 5.4-RELEASE) as it breaks POLA.  You should contact phk for
> this stuff.
>
> > hope so; I'm still having problems using uplcom+ucom.  Maybe
> > the renaming thing would help?
>
> What kind of problems?  uplcom works fine on my 5-STABLE box,
> where I use the uplcom device to talk to my mobile phone.

The problem is similar to that mentioned in PR usb/77294 which
states:

>I get reproducable panic()s that look like a NULL pointer
>dereference.

>What I saw on the console:

>putc to a clist with no reserved blocks
>putc to a clist with no reserved blocks
>putc to a clist with no reserved blocks
>putc to a clist with no reserved blocks
>putc to a clist with no reserved blocks
>putc to a clist with no reserved blocks
>putc to a clist with no reserved blocks
>putc to a clist with no reserved blocks
>putc to a clist with no reserved blocks
>putc to a clist with no reserved blocks
>putc to a clist with no reserved blocks
>putc to a clist with no reserved blocks
>putc to a clist with no reserved blocks
>putc to a clist with no reserved blocks

>ucom1: read start failed

>fatal trap 12 in kernel mode
>fault virtual address = 0x4c
>[ ... ]
>current process = getty
>stopped at usb_transfer_complete+0xd2:   movl    0x4c(%eax),%eax

The person who wrote the PR was using getty; I'm using mgetty and I
get kernel panics "every now and then" usually after 12-24hrs.,
sometimes less. What I did was to take sys/dev/usb/uplcom.c from
-current and used it on -stable (crazy, I know). I still get a lot
of those "putc to a clist with no reserved cblocks' but the machine
stayed up for over 7 days.  Though I hear -current is quite usable,
I'm too chicken to try it out.

Dennis
--
Mars Trading