Distinct base and ports update ?

Freddie Cash fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca
Wed Mar 23 08:36:31 PST 2005

On March 22, 2005 11:50 pm, Constant, Benjamin wrote:
> I think this may work if I use two cvsup files (one for the src-all and
> the other one for the ports) using a different date inside.

You should always use separate supfiles for the source and ports trees.
Why?  Because the ports tree changes on a daily basis, and the source tree
may only change every couple of months (depending on the branch you are
tracking).  Why compare every single file in the source tree on your
system and the cvsup server when all you want to do is get the latest
ports tree??

Keep them separate.  Keep the tags separate.  And only update the source
tree when you need to.

And, if all your systems are on a LAN, then why not NFS mount the /usr/src
and /usr/ports directories off a central system?  That way, you only have
to update one system, and you're guaranteed that all the servers have the
same source and ports trees.  Just set the work directory prefix (it's
listed in the ports(7) man page) so that the compilation work directories
are local, and you're set.

Alternatively, just have 1 build system that makes packages, and copy those
packages out to the other servers, and do the installs/upgrades with
packages.
--
Freddie Cash, CLCP CNCP            Network Support / Helpdesk
School District 73                 (250) 377-4357
fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca