Panic with amr and 5.4-PRERELEASE

Pierre DAVID Pierre.David at crc.u-strasbg.fr
Tue Mar 15 19:31:53 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:12:49AM +0100, Constant, Benjamin wrote:

> Fyi,
>
> The tool is working fine but doesn't show up rebuild state (just removed a
> drive and card bios is showing up rebuild on hotspare).
> I think it's coming from the driver as it doesn't say that logical device is
> in rebuild state.
>
> root at liemaster01:~: dmesg | grep amrd0
> amrd0: <LSILogic MegaRAID logical drive> on amr0
> amrd0: 35073MB (71829504 sectors) RAID 1 (degraded)
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/amrd0s1a
>
> root at liemaster01:~: ./amrstat -l0
> Drive 0:    34.25 GB, RAID1 <write-through,no-read-ahead,no-adaptative-io>
> degraded

You're right. The driver doesn't report the rebuild state.

> By the way, this tool seems promising, thanks for the effort!

Coupled with a simple perl script which periodically calls amrstat
on all volumes, it has been proved very useful by the past.

However, under heavy I/O load, the amr driver returns meaningful
information. This is the reason why amrstat.c make a few attempts.
Since this is only to send a mail for an alert, We ignore these
"false positive".

Pierre David